Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

White Lies

I am grateful for the ability to tell a white lie.  Those small untruths have become my savior.  I know I probably shouldn’t get too comfortable telling them now, because in the near future my son will be able to figure it all out and I’ll come out looking like a sham.  But for now, they tame the incessant questions and the ever-loved "toddler tantrum."

Tonight my son refused to eat the dinner I had spent at least an hour putting together.  “Nope.  No way, José.”  How do I even respond to that?

I had no energy to try and convince him to eat it.  So, I bravely asked him what he WANTED to eat from the refrigerator. This is where I got a little crafty.  If I had asked, “what do you want to eat?” the response would have surely been “COOKIES!”  Thankfully, cookies don’t reside in the refrigerator. 
His response was, “I want hummus.”  Awesome.  I have that.  But then he chimes in with “without the garlic.”  Damn.  So close.  I bought the wrong hummus at the store this week.  I have only the hummus with the garlic and this kid is too observant, well beyond his two and a half years.

What could I do?  He had caught me.  He had called me out.

So, I asked him, “Would you like HUMMUS <ahem> beans?”

“No.  No beans.”

“Not BEANS.  HUMMUS beans!” 

“Oh!!! Alright.”


And so, garbanzo beans were on the menu tonight – with a side of bananas. J

No comments:

Post a Comment