Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Grateful #8 - A balloon





Yesterday, a student came into my classroom and gave me a pink balloon.  I’m not sure why.  It sort of just sat under my desk until this morning, when  I picked it up and put it on the bookcase to clear some space for the billions of things I had going on in and around my desk. 

A student who usually eats lunch in my room walked over, picked up the balloon and started tapping it up in the air.  My gut instinct, despite being mid-bite of my sandwich, was to get up and hit the balloon back to her.   And then it began. 

A senior in high school and my 34-year-old self were magically transformed into our former 10 year-old selves.   It felt like all I had to do in my life – my only focus, my only goal, was to hit that balloon back to her successfully without letting it hit the ground.  And then all she had to do was hit it back to me.  And repeat.  If we could do this, we would be the champions of the world.  For 3 solid minutes we did this, making sure it didn’t hit the ground; this is the unspoken rule of playing balloon.  If I held up a mirror right then, I think it would reflect only smile.  In that 3 minutes, we were literally free; all of the things that previously were racing through our heads - our worries, our fears, our responsibilities – they all went away, and for those precious moments, we were untouchable.

I am grateful for that balloon and for being able to go back to what it feels like to be weightless. 




No comments:

Post a Comment