Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Grateful #17 - being treated like a person, not a number

Generally speaking, I am not a big fan of banks or going into them to do business.  Today, however, I ran out of checks and needed to get some.  I walked in, and got in line as two other patrons went up to the tellers. The tellers addressed each patron by name and asked them how they were doing before they even reached the counter. I was kind of impressed!  Then, even though I was next in line and probably had to wait all of 5 seconds before it was my turn, a man (presumably a manager) asked me if i wanted any water while I waited.  Even better:  he asked me if i wanted cold or room temperature.  Really?  I mean how much nicer and thoughtful can you be to someone whose money you already have???  And in fact, I did want room temperature!  I went up to my teller, Kavonn, with my rooom-temp water in hand, and I asked him if they had any comment cards.  He looked so concerned, until I explained that I was so impressed by such a positive experience at the bank;  I wanted to tell the higher-ups about how great their employees are at making the patrons feel cared for and attended to.  He said they really didn't have any comment cards, but that it's all about just loving what you do.  Well Kavonn, I love what you do.  And what the people who work at the Wells Fargo in the City of Decatur do.  I am grateful for how I was treated like a person and not a bank account.  In a world where the thought of dealing with banks, credit card companies, and mortgage lenders makes you want to hide, I will gladly step foot into the Wells Fargo in Decatur.

No comments:

Post a Comment