Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

A guest writer's response to what they are grateful for: this little nuget


Growing up, I always imagined I’d become a mother, but after a few rounds of heartbreak and years of liberal arts education and activism and, well, just general participation in the world human beings are currently dominating, I decided that we already have more than enough people. I also realized that I kind of don’t get kids. Unless they’re mini-adults, I don’t have much to say to them. Also, playing is exhausting and kind of boring. I was never a child. Not really.
Along with this realization, as is my style, there was also a lot of intellectualization and rationalization for my stance, which I oddly felt I had to justify to anyone with whom I shared my lack of desire for children. As a feminist, part of my writing off motherhood was based on a) feeling too much pressure to be a mom merely because I am female-bodied, b) stress from all the mythology surrounding “mothering instincts” and “good parenting,” and c) stark awareness of the mothering wars (cloth diapers vs. disposable diapers, attachment parenting vs. letting them cry it out, stay-at-home vs. working moms, home birth vs. hospital birth, vaccinations vs. no vaccinations, and on and on and on). As a queer woman, it was an odd sort of relief to decide that kids weren’t for me because I felt heartbroken knowing that the (selfish) desire to see my love with my same-sex-but-not-necessarily-same-gender partners embodied in the world through procreation would never ever ever be realized.
Recently, however, at the age of 33, I fell in love with one of my best friends – a boy. Well, a man, but a sweet boy too. Maybe it was some type of counterintuitive biological imperative, or maybe it was looking at all my friends’ (adorable) babies on Facebook, or maybe my body and mind realizing a new possible future, my urge to have a child – one that would grow and come forth from within my body – grew suddenly, hard and fast. I began to fear that my eggs were dried up, that my extended 20-something behavior and total lack of life plan was going to interfere with me ever having a child while it was still physically possible. For a year, I stressed and obsessed but my partner and I remained safe and careful to prevent a pregnancy for which we are in no way ready.

But now:




a miraculous  mistake, a trendy 30-something oops-baby. I am in my 7th week of a pregnancy that isn’t apparently considered risky even though I’ll be 34 when s/he is born. Everything in there looks healthy and normal. Yesterday we watched a heart flutter at 127 BPM on a small black and white screen, a heart that didn’t exist 7 weeks ago.
Even though I’m still getting used to looking like a straight person in public and even though we’re in serious financial peril and this was seriously not what was “supposed to happen,” I am grateful for this Little Nugget and the Universe’s decision in the form of a gift, because existence is miraculous and my body is mammalian and magical, and I never was good at making decisions and we’re never ready for anything, not really. And also because there are so many incredible people who try and try and would give anything for the Universe to let this be the kind of accident they have today.

No comments:

Post a Comment