Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Unanticipated Moments of Joy

The thought of blogging hadn't even remotely crossed my mind, until my dear friend reached out to me and suggested this collaboration. Thank you.  It’s befitting that I should be forced to stop and “smell the roses.” I currently have many obstacles plaguing my pursuit of happiness.  The exercise of simply recognizing that I have what to be grateful for is, well, healing. 

My son has a medical condition.  It was very hard to accept this, because I felt like it was a punishment initially.  I have since come to accept it as his burden in life.  We all have burdens.  He is now 2.5 and has been diagnosed with an allergy of sorts to his medication.  Because of this revelation, I must now stay at home with him, instead of traveling to work in my office.  I now work at home, and I am often alone with my son.

When one has a child, it seems that certain parts of one’s personality are amplified – at least that was the case with me.  I am keenly aware of my vehement independence.  I love my child.  I love my family.  I also love the ability to earn money and impact the lives of those who hire me.  I like to work.  I enjoyed having a life outside of my home.

Nothing could have prepared me for this life change and a part of me mourned my loss of self and purpose.  I questioned whether my time with my son would remain special, since I’d be with him constantly.  Would I grow sick of being the “go to” parent?  Would I become resentful?

While attempting to “work” from home, in my makeshift office, which is adjacent to my son’s playroom, I observed the pictured interaction between father and son.  My husband left shortly thereafter for the airport. 


I realized that I can easily choose to wallow in self-pity or rage at my current life circumstances, but, instead, I choose to be grateful that I will be blessed with many more similar heart-warming observations in the near future.  There is joy to be found in everything in life, your heart just has to be open to it.                                                                              

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing attitude, Ilana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and this is exactly why I wanted to this project with you. Love love love this post.

    ReplyDelete