Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Grateful #longoverdue: family, friends, big things, and little things


It’s been a minute since I’ve written; I went to Pennsylvania to visit my family and then immediately jumped right back into work and coaching and I haven’t had time to sit down and write the way I like to write.  I tried a few times, but I struggled with it so much, that I almost didn’t write anything about my trip at all.  And then I realized why I was having such a hard time.  I tend to see little tiny things in very big meaningful ways.  When I’m grateful, it’s usually a small moment that made me think big.   Being home only a few times a year, makes going home a big thing.  Meeting my niece for the first time is big thing.  Playing tennis with my brother for the first time since I was in the 8th grade is a big thing.  I dont know how to express gratitude for just one big thing without breaking it down into a million little things, all of which could be their own entry into my grateful blog.  
It’s making me unable to write.  And I need to write.  So in order to get the ball rolling again, I decided to skip that one for  minute and write about something else.


Again, tonight, I was in the company of someone I completely adore.  This time, it was my oldest and dearest friend.  I had a very long, draining week.  For whatever reason, by the time I got home from teaching Saturday school and running errands, the very thought of having my friend over and engaging socially was too much;  I was all prepared to tell her that I was too tired and worn out to have company.  I actually did tell her that, but she very quickly replied, “Im coming.  You can’t back out.  Love you” 
I’m grateful for people who know me well enough to know what I need before I do, even when it goes against what I think I need.  At 4 or 34, I am so lucky to have a friend who I can say anything to, do anything with, and be anything I want to be and she’ll love me for it.  Not love me despite it.   And she’ll wear the flowery barrettes so that I don’t have to wear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment