Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Grateful # 27 - Photosynthesis. Kind of.




I started this project to make myself more aware that beauty can sometimes be hidden in drawers, lurking behind walls, tucked under the stacks of papers piling up on the coffee table, running across the street, or even staring us in the face without us even knowing it.  I started it so that I would be more conscious of the way people can affect each other.  I started it to prove that things are more than just things; we can draw meaning from anything if we want or need to. 
When I started this, I had grandiose plans of sitting down every night and writing about something that I was grateful for, uploading a picture, and sharing it with the world!  It started off that way, and then as life pushed forward and I found myself flailing behind, barley holding onto it by a rope, I realized that it may not be as easy as I thought.  I wish you, the reader, knew how often I throw ideas around in my head about what I am grateful for; though lately they mostly stay inside my head and never make it out into the air, they are always there.  Hundreds of them.  So in essence, I am still fulfilling my own end of the project, I am just lacking in the follow through of sharing them.  It’s not really even that I don’t have time, though that’s kind of the go to phrase these days.  Everyone loves to throw around the good ole, "Man, I am SO busy!"  Yes, everyone is busy.  Everyone is seemingly important.  But I think my biggest roadblock is thinking that I need to be eloquent and prophetic when I write.  Instead of simply stating that I am grateful for 80-degree weather today during tennis practice, I think I need to write some highly intellectual version that likens photosynthesis to way my mouth converts into a smile when bathed in sunlight.  The little language nuances I love are the very thing that stops me from writing sometimes.  If I am grateful for being in the sun during tennis practice, instead of the 30 degrees we’ve been practicing in, I should be able to say that without worrying about how short it is, how intelligent sounding it is, how well written it is.  I should just say it.

Photosynthesis and energy blah blah blah.  I am grateful for how warm it was today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment