Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Grateful #31 - The stars



The Sunday night blues sink in right after dinner.  The weekend is officially over; relaxation will be non-existent in about 12 hours.  I sit here with my laptop and some file folders and my calendar, shuffling each one around enough to make it seem like progress is happening.  But it’s not.  I looked up at the tv and there were stars all over the screen.  Fox was airing a show called, "Cosmos." 

There are a few things in this world that will literally take my breath away every single time.  I do not mean the rare, special, romantic, emotional, or extreme moments – those are a different kind of breathtaking.  I am talking about something that occurs fairly regularly, that despite it’s normalcy, still takes your breath away.  Every time.  One of those things is looking up at a star-filled sky.  I grew up in town that hosted brilliant constellations every night.   My trips to the planetarium as an elementary school kid brought the stars even closer to me.  As soon as Mr. Danner turned off the lights and put the stars on the ceiling, I was mesmerized.  (sidebar: just thinking about that while I’m writing – i remember how the room smelled, what his voice sounded like, how the plastic chairs felt when I leaned my head back as far as it could go…)  My eyes couldn’t take it all in fast enough and I was swirling about the room, (which I could have sworn was really moving) grabbing onto Orion’s belt while sliding down the big dipper.   As an adult, I have found myself in the magazine section of Barnes and Noble tracing the cover of Astronomy Magazine without even knowing why.   A few years ago, I lived near a church that had an outdoor spiral staircase that led to terrace on top of the building– there was one bench with a perfect view of the sky.   I sat there for hours some nights, simply getting sucked in by the gravitation pull of outer space. 

I am grateful for the way the stars in the sky is one place where getting lost is actually how you get found.    

1 comment: