Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Grateful #30 - not flying under the radar


For the first 18 (and depending on how far we go in school, 22-25) years of our lives, we get accustomed to hearing parents, teachers, and professors shout our praises when we do things well.  And though we learn how to be proud of ourselves without needing recognition from others, that extrinsic reward somehow means more.  For me, it’s never been about the money or the grade as much as it’s been about being able to hear someone I respect or admire tell me I’ve done well or think that I’m smart and creative. 

There’s a point, however, when we enter the workplace, when this constant feedback stops being constant.  We go through our daily grind, work our hardest, solve problems, put out fires, reconcile differences in people or numbers,  pack up and go home.   This is not to say that we don’t witness the value of our work from student achievement, client retention, or increased sales.   However, the acknowledgements from our bosses and colleagues are not as common anymore; they shout, “see you tomorrow!” or “have a good weekend!”  but those reaffirming praises we used to hear all the time have long since stopped.  As the years of being in the work force add up, we get used to it - we forget how good it made us feel when people stopped to notice our efforts. 

Perhaps that’s why I am writing this today –I had a significant moment that I wanted to relish in for a while.  When a colleague noticed my efforts AND said something about it – it was like I was given an A+ gold star, put on a float, and paraded around the room in all my glory.

Simple praise.  Literally the words were:  “You did a really good job.”  That’s all it took.  Adults are very quick to praise children, but we need to praise our peers, too.  I’m all for intrinsic motivation and having self-confidence on my own accord – but I don’t know anybody who wouldn’t want to hear that he or she is doing a good job.  It’s not the same as saying thank you – that’s kind, too, but that’s someone needing something and being thankful they got it from you.  The kind of praise I’m talking about is different.  It’s from someone who knows your job, does similar things that you do, and instead of thinking about him or herself, someone is taking the time to honor you.  The job YOU did.

I am grateful for not flying under the radar today.  And for the person who happened to look up and see me flying. 


No comments:

Post a Comment