Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Grateful #20 - other people's cool hobbies.



Nitro and electric remote control car driving from the parking lot of the Civic Center in downtown Atlanta.  It's pretty much awesome. 

My friend shared one of her hobbies with me today, which in itself is something I am grateful for - my hobbies are not very shareable like that.  I can't write with people, and I can't play tennis with friends if they don't know how to play well.  But driving remote control cars - that is something that anyone can do together. 

I love learning new things - most of the time new knowledge comes from things I've read or things I've heard.  Being a kinesthetic learner, however, makes learning certain things much easier for me - like being able to use the remote control to feel how the cars pick up speed, traction, take turns, and skid out.  I was able to determine at what point I needed to start turning in order to not flip the car, and I was able to get the other car free from the staircase by driving mine at it to knock it loose.  I learned all of those things today.  I did listen to my friend tell me about how the engine works and how the temperature has to stay somewhere near 180 degrees, but that stuff doesn't really make sense to me as much - I learn better and more thoroughly by actually doing something.  I am grateful for being able to learn something completely new - not from a book, a newscast, a story online, a youtube video, or from someone telling me.  I learned how to do something new today by actually doing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment