Days, months, weeks, and sometimes even years - they all go by us. If we're lucky, we tame them long enough to feel like we were not just standing there as they went by; sometimes we actually feel present in them. But not enough. Too many amazing and wonderful things go by without so much as a nod or moment of appreciation. Because life happens. Because we get busy. Because we just keep going. This blog is a way to stop all of that spinning and pause some of those quiet, simple little moments that make us smile. Being grateful is not something that we just are - being grateful is something we should actively do. This is two friends living many, many miles apart, sharing their tiny little moments of gratitude in pictures with each other and with the world.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Grateful #39 - Envy. and what comes after it.



The line between jealousy and envy can be easily blurred; they are both awful feelings that result in possible acts of lunacy, irrational behavior, self-loathing, betrayal, and doubt. 

The big difference is that with jealousy, you end up having to apologize to others; with envy, you end up having to apologize to yourself. 
Harder than saying “I’m sorry,” is letting yourself off the hook. 

It started out very innocently – I was simply scrolling through the status updates and pictures added by my friends on facebook.  It wasn’t until the 4th or 5th picture of a beautiful cityscape or ocean view that I started to wonder what I was doing wrong in my life.  Everyone had these vacation photos, or even worse – pictures of distant cities and attractions that their jobs sent them off to explore on the company dollar – while all I can see when i hold up my camera phone is my own two feet.   

Enter evny.   Enter the wishing I was as smart, successful, and accomplished as someone else.  Enter the anger because I’m not. 

I spiraled down this envy path for a while.  The brutality of the self-talk one goes through when tumbling down the well of envy is not pretty.   Thankfully, my friend called and interrupted me.   While she was talking about something that was upsetting her, I heard myself say, “you gotta cut yourself some slack.”

Why is it so easy to tell someone that she has to let herself off the hook when she’s doing her best, but almost impossible to believe it’s ok for ourselves?   
Because when we’re beating ourselves up for not having, doing, or getting the things that other people have, feeling sorry for ourselves is much easier than accepting our shortcomings as temporary grievances - that maybe we’re a work in progress. 

And while we are forever talented at doling out the good advice and not taking it ourselves, it’s important that we find a way to take it.  We need to let ourselves off the hook sometimes.  Letting ourselves off the hook doesn’t mean we accept our current lot in life; it means we’re ok with not accepting it.   It means we can recognize where we have room to grow and we can actively take steps towards it.  I may not be vacationing in a little villa on the greek islands, or making any vertical leaps in my career path anytime soon, but I know that I want to – and I know that I can put energy towards those things without the damaging internal monologue.   I can let myself off the hook.

My gratitude is two-fold today.  This may sound backwards, but I am grateful for feeling envious.  Because it’s an uncontrollable, automatic response, it’s a damn good indicator as to what it is we really want (whether it be superficial or deep. Whether it be actual things or the idea of being able to get the things).   Feeling envious is kind of a really round-about way of goal setting.  The important part here is not the envy-induced goals, but what you do with that list afterwards.  Give yourself a break.  Recognize what it is that you want and be ok with not having it.  Be ok with trying to tweak some parts in order to get it.  You wouldn’t tell a friend that she is doomed to forever be inadequate, so you shouldn’t tell yourself that either.  The next time you try to put the wind back in someone else’s sails, give yourself a break and feel the breeze, too

No comments:

Post a Comment